Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Dying for our dreams....


Man, I'm not even sure to start with this one. There is something special about riding/racing motorcycles, skateboarding, snowboarding, etc. It's all about the individual and personal taste and style. Sometimes it's nice to take off by yourself and just forget about everything for a while, and other times there is nothing better than having a group of like minded individuals to vibe with and share good times. I remember back in the mid to late 90's when my friend Joey was running a company called Fishpaw. I lived to drive to Bend, ride at his house, see the new Fishpaw product, and hang out with people that I sincerely looked up to. I remember one particular time that I went to Joey's and he had this bad ass chopper sitting in his garage. It was loud as shit and just had a mean look to it. At the time I thought it was rad but never envisioned myself having anything like it. Fast forward about 10 years. Around the time that my parents were packing up and moving to Central Oregon I was looking through old boxes and pictures that my parents had inherited when my Grandparents died. My Grandpa raced motorcycles from the 40's all the way into the late 80's before he hung it up and just rode for fun. I found piles of old gas tanks, forks, helmets, exhaust systems, along with stacks of pictures documenting each decade of riding. The pictures were amazing and the parts seemed like nothing more than nostalgic junk to me. That was until I discovered 4Q. I knew who Max Schaaf was through skateboarding but I didn't know what he was up to until I watched his Epicl'y Later'd episode. That is when it dawned on me that all of my Grandpa's old parts weren't junk, but rather potential pieces to contribute to my own chopper project. I don't know when I plan on starting a build, but I have a dream and a vision. Thanks to Joey for always being stoked on shit and getting me pumped on bikes every time we hang out, Justin for teaching me that you can do things that people tell you will never happen, Scotty for sharing the same passion for nostalgia, and Zak for being about the only person I want to shred with because he gets it! Below is an excerpt from Max's site that pretty much sums it all up.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


some nights sleep is hard to come by. kinda like a kid on christmas eve... i lay in bed wide awake thinking about the next day and all i want to do. Once the gears start spinning it's hard to slow em down. i remember when i was skateboarding all the time in my teens and 20's i would lay in bed all night thinking up tricks i wanted to learn and things i thought i could do on a skateboard... the bummer is the next day your so tired from staring at the ceiling all night your mind and body don't work as well as you dreamed. about a year ago on one of these such nights, after some long hours in the garage i was laying in bed unable to sleep. My hands burning from cuts and chemicals, my back aching from hunching over a bike, and my lungs filled with paint fumes. I thought to myself "man i feel like shit, i'm killing myself".......... and i just want tomorrow to start so i can do it again."i'm dying for my dreams"it's weird to hear people talk about others and the things they're into. People can be so critical of other peoples lives. I've heard it in all different realms..music, skate-boarding, art, and motorcycles. Trying to knock other folks down saying " ah so and so he's not really into art, he's just here for the ride" or "yeah he's a good drummer but i don't think he's really into it" "you know his dad bought him a skateboard when he was like three".... shit i've done it, and i was being lame and insecure. the funny thing is the older i got the less i thought it would happen....nope. When your in it, you are in it. Only you know it. In your heart. From head to toe. I believe the things i love found me..... that's always how it has been. When you know you can't shake it. Abusing your body, spinning your mind way to fast, all to move forward. Nothing real is easy. Love, skateboards, friends, motorcycles, family... it takes work. this shirt is for everyone that understands it..."dying for our dreams"----------------------------max-------------

1 comment:

  1. Owning a 1970 BSA Lightning Cafe... I know what you are talking about now. I can't stop looking at it or thinking about it. It's mechanical heroin. Keep the rubber side down.

    ReplyDelete